TENSION NECK SYNDROME
Trapezius is the major superficial muscle which extends from the cervical to thoracic region. In Tension Neck Syndrome trapezius muscle is affected.It is also known as Tension Myositis Syndrome.Patient complains of :
- Headache pain from neck
- Trigger points-tender areas, small hard nodules
It is basically an overuse syndrome and pain worsens after prolong sitting on computer. Inflammation, muscle stiffness, or injuries can also cause tension neck syndrome.
- Avoid prolong sitting at a stretch.Take breaks after every 30 – 40 minutes .Stretch your neck muscles and also do some simple lengthening and posture improving execises.
- Ergonomics plays a very important role in prevention of Tension Neck Syndrome.Use a ergonomic computer set -up.
- The chair should be comfortable and should support spine while sitting.
- Do not cradle phone between neck and shoulder.
- Keep your elbows off the table.
- Always keep a close watch on your posture.
If symptoms increases and pain persists then seek a medical advice. NSAIDs are given to reduce pain and inflammation.
- Heat\Ice packs
- Manual Therapy, Transverse friction massage ,Stretching and strengthening exercises.